UDDI’s enterprise development programmes seek to create a healthy entrepreneurship development ecosystem that accelerates the growth of entrepreneurs. Our focus is on unlocking the potential of emerging small businesses through programmatic support which addresses issues of spatial planning, and combat challenges that limit the growth of township-based entrepreneurs. With a special focus on Uitenhage and Despatch, we have identified four pillars to stimulate economic growth: economic transformation, spatial transformation, modernisation of the economy and re-industrialisation.
UDDI enterprise development model
Our approach towards enterprise development seeks to create a healthy entrepreneurship development ecosystem that accelerates the successful development of emerging and new-entrant businesses.
UDDI’s enterprise development programme is used as a tool to strengthen enterprises through multi-sector support packages, accredited training, mentorship, networking and access to markets, introduction to new business solutions and unlocking opportunities.
Full business incubation Programme: is designed to accelerate the successful development of entrepreneurial companies through an array of business support resources and services, developed and orchestrated by incubator management and offered both in the incubator and through its networks. The programme has a clear recruitment and exit criteria. The programme offers enterprises:
- Holistic business modelling
- Growth and market access strategies
- Technical support and skills transfer
- Infrastructural support
- Mentorship and advisory support
Township Informal Automotive Service Centres Development Programme: is an initiative between UDDI and Filpro. The objective of the programme is to formalise informal automotive businesses, provide business training and to create procurement opportunities for enterprises.
The programme consists of:
- Identification of informal service centres
- Business skills workshop
- Training and skills development (soft skills training, mechanical and technical training)
- Business compliance requirements
Climate Innovation Centre South Africa Programme: is an initiative that targets entrepreneurs in renewable energy, recycling, solar systems, organic farming, waste management and innovative technologies. The programme emphasises the importance of creating an innovative approach for generating capital growth whilst protecting the best interests of the environment as well as to highlight methods on the protection of intellectual property by applying for patents and copyrights. The programme is the result of a partnership agreement between the UDDI and The Innovation Hub.
Green entrepreneurs focus on the following:
- Strategic planning through business models
- Environmental sustainability
- Protection of intellectual property
Women Enterprise Development Mentorship Programme: is an initiative of the UDDI and Eastern Cape Development Corporation. It is aimed at upskilling and empowering women-owned enterprises within the Uitenhage-Despatch region and broader Nelson Mandela Bay area.
The programme spans over nine months and covers specialised training and ongoing mentorship to:
- Facilitate growth and sustainability of women-led small businesses
- Enable women-owned enterprises to operate in a professional manner, while also improving their administrative efficiencies and business compliance
- Develop business management and technical skills of owners/managers to create readiness for market access opportunities.
Participating women enterprises undergo a 360 degree diagnostics exercise on current operations and appropriate interventions are identified to accelerate the development of the enterprises.
Youth Financial Management Software Programme: is an initiative of the UDDI and Eastern Cape Development Corporation. It is aimed at upskilling and empowering youth-owned enterprises within the Uitenhage-Despatch region and broader Nelson Mandela Bay area.
Youth enterprise owners are taught how to use a customised open software accounting software designed to ensure effective bookkeeping and financial reporting. The system also allows easy tracking of a company’s financial data.
The programme covers Basic Financial Management Training, Accounting Management System, and Mentorship that will assist youth owners to improve:
- Competitiveness of enterprises
- Record keeping
- Financial management literacy
- Financial reporting
- Professionalism and administrative efficiencies
SMME toolkit: is an initiative that organises monthly business cluster workshops that are aimed at the growth and expansion of businesses.
These workshops focus on:
- Entrepreneurship and local economic development
- Acceleration of development in SMMEs
- Discussion on investment promotion and export development
- Resource mobilisation
- Facilitation of high impact project development through value chain activities
Basic Entrepreneurial Skills Development Programme: is an initiative that facilitates basic training workshops for newly emerging entrepreneurs.
These workshops focus on:
- Compliance and enterprise support referrals
- Finance and cost tendering
- Business administration